Sunday, February 18, 2007

I am now a Subdeacon in the ACA

This morning, at the 9:15 service at St. Stephens Traditional Episcopal Church, I was (along with the other postulants in the parish) "set apart" for the "office and work of Subdeacon," by the Ven. Guy P. Hawtin, Rector of St. Stephens and Archdeacon of the Diocese of the Eastern United States, Anglican Church in America. Our sponsor was the Rev. James Johnson, Associate Rector of St. Stephens.

Lest any wonder just what the "office and work of Subdeacon" might be, here is the requisite part of the "Order for the Setting-Apart of Subdeacons":
Priest: Declare, we pray thee, unto those who are gathered, what the office and work of a Subdeacon are.

Then shall the Sponsor answer,
The duties of a Subdeacon are to read the Epistles, to assist at the Holy Table, and to administer the Chalice during the Eucharist; to read the Daily Offices and to study Holy Scripture; and to present an example of Christian humility and service in their daily lives.
In effect, I have been restored to all of the duties and offices I held at Ascension, save for preaching -- and we are to offer a couple of meditations during Lent, so there will even be a little bit of that. I was functioning effectively as a Subdeacon-plus at Ascension, though without the title. Now I have the title to go with the "office and work." And I am another step on the way toward eventual ordination.

I had expected to ask myself if I felt any different following this service of installation, and had expected to answer myself, "no, not really." Oddly, though, that's not the answer I get. Although this was not a service of ordination -- that is reserved, in our tradition, for the "major orders," and this is a "minor order" -- hands were indeed laid on my head, and it seems that some spiritual graces were indeed conferred. Or perhaps it is just that the solemnity of the occasion has served to underline the solemnity of the office in my mind.

In either case, I do feel a strong sense of reaffirmation and, perhaps, destiny toward my vocation to the priesthood... which is good, as I have to confess that it was becoming a bit shaky. Many factors and experiences in my personal life have battered against my sense of call and, indeed, my faith in recent months. It may be that I needed this. At any rate, I am grateful that it occured.

Brothers and sisters, please pray for me, a sinner, as I embark on this next phase of my journey.

No comments: